Saturday, November 26, 2005

Aperture compatibility, and it's shipping?

According to the Apple Store front page, Aperture is now shipping. However, when you attempt to purchase it, it says it's shipping in one week. Furthermore, Amazon has a November 30 release date, and there have not yet been any reports of end users receiving their copies.

In addition, reports have been coming in about hardware compatibility with Aperture as determined by Apple's Aperture Compatibility Checker. Some confirm my observation that 2005 iBooks are listed as supported, but it seems the iBooks are the only big surprise. As expected from the minimum requirements, prelimary reports indicate that these Macs are NOT supported:

1) Any 12" PowerBook
2) Any G4 iMac
3) Any G4 Power Mac
4) G5 iMacs with GeForce FX 5200 Ultra (August 2004)
5) G5 Power Macs with GeForce FX 5200 Ultra (2003 & 2004)

I can understand Apple's decision not to support 12" PowerBooks or other Macs with GeForce 5200 series GPUs. Also, the G5 Power Macs are not a issue, since one can easily upgrade the GPU. However, given Apple's decision to support G4 PowerBooks, I do not understand their decision to exclude all G4 Power Macs, including duals. Perhaps Apple might have a change of heart later on and allow support of Power Macs with fast G4s and appropriate GPUs like the Radeon 9600 Pro or better, but I wouldn't count on it.

[Update 2005-11-26]

Aperture is now shipping. Emails went out today to some end users indicating their orders shipped today, with expected delivery beginning early next week.

[Update 2005-11-27]

I almost forgot... While I don't have end user confirmation of this yet, Aperture will not likely run on any 1.6 GHz Power Mac either, regardless of the video card. The 1.6 GHz G5 does not meet Apple's minimum CPU speed specification.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please email me the work around instruction for loading Aperture on my 20" imac G-5.

Thanks

tbattle@dcmr.com

Anonymous said...

I am also looking to figure out how to work around this problem. I have a 1.6ghz G5 with the 5200 video card... what am I supposed to do? I am new to macs, and now I am not too happy with Apple...

please email me at: jaredmsmith@gmail.com if you can, thanks!