Thursday, September 06, 2007

Whining does work: Apple to give $100 to each existing iPhone owning.

Don't get me wrong. I would have whined too had I been in the same situation, but I wouldn't have guessed that this unified whining would actually work. Apple's Jobs has penned an open letter to existing iPhone owners, and in an apparent about face, Apple will be providing early iPhone purchasers with a $100 store credit.

It's a great gesture to be sure, but I'm still surprised at the $200 price drop in the first place. My guess was that they would drop the price by $50-100... in October or November, or possibly even later. A $200 price cut just several weeks after its release is unprecedented. I'm also surprised Apple misjudged its customer base so badly on this too. This may in fact the more significant part of all of this, because it makes it clear again that even the very consumer-oriented Apple may sometimes completely misjudge its customer base.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Apple's Ju Jitsu - Take the pent-up energy of early adopters and use it to get them to buy more stuff from the Apple Store.